[TriLUG] What might I be getting myself into?...

Brian via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Wed Dec 21 09:57:10 EST 2016

Hiya folks,

So, I've got my server basically back up and running satisfactorily from
the weekend's excitement.  Except for one thing:  /boot is too small.  I
didn't want to lose an important partition on the one HDD in the box, so
I reused all the existing partitions from the previous CentOS 5 setup.
Go figure, kernels have grown since then, and a 100 MB /boot partition
isn't enough to hold more than one kernel image.

It isn't really a huge deal at the moment, although it means I can't
update the kernel with yum, and it means logwatch whines about /boot
being almost out of space.  But...I'd like to make the situation better,
eventually.  I see two apparent options:

1) Back up the entire drive (500 GiB), wipe the whole thing, repartition
from scratch, reinstall everything, basically throw away the work I did
these past few days

2) Get a secondary drive, maybe a small SSD, that I can tuck inside the
machine to hold /boot (it's a very compact 1U rack enclosure; no room
for more than one 3.5" HDD, but I could probably squeeze a 2.5" SSD in
there) and perhaps other system partitions

My instinct is toward option 2, but I wonder how smoothly it would go.
fstab has all the partitions identified by UUID, so I suppose it would
continue to find them; as long as I correct the kernel boot arguments to
find /, should it all just work?

This is my (only) server/router, so I'm reluctant to just experiment.

Thanks in advance for all insights!
-Brian