[TriLUG] Migrating to Fedora

Steve Litt via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Mon Dec 26 14:36:08 EST 2016

On Mon, 26 Dec 2016 17:56:17 +0000
Paul Boyle via TriLUG <trilug at trilug.org> wrote:

> The main problem is a run time problem: Apex3 is a
> Python application, and rather than having the software as a bunch of
> modules which integrate with the natively installed stock Python
> interpreter, the vendor supplies their own specially hacked Python
> interpreter (called bnpython).  This causes problems in that bnpython
> can't find certain stock modules like hashlib (which are installed
> with my native Python installation).  There might be some Python
> administration wizardly which might be able to get bnpython looking
> in the right places for the standard modules, but I don't know it.

Python has a list of directories in which to look for modules. I think
it's contained in an evironment var called $PYTHONPATH. You could
addto/change $PYTHONPATH before running your program.

See the bottom of python -h

Now if the authors of bnpython have chosen to hardcode or otherwise
disable $PYTHONPATH, that's another matter.

SteveT

Steve Litt
December 2016 featured book: Rapid Learning for the 21st Century
http://www.troubleshooters.com/rl21