[TriLUG] NFS and idmapd

Brian via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Tue Jan 3 14:09:42 EST 2017

On 01/03/2017 01:14 PM, Jimmy Dorff wrote:
> You need to have the domain matching on both the NFSv4 server and NFSv4
> client.

Yeah, they didn't, but I fixed it and still no joy.  On the server:

$ uname -a
Linux undecidedgames.net 3.10.0-327.36.3.el7.x86_64 #1 SMP Mon Oct 24
16:09:20 UTC 2016 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
$ head /etc/idmapd.conf
[General]
Verbosity = 5
Domain = undecidedgames.net

On the client:

$ uname -a
Linux blueman 4.6.0 #1 SMP Wed May 18 21:36:45 EDT 2016 x86_64 GNU/Linux
$ head /etc/idmapd.conf
[General]
Verbosity = 0
Pipefs-Directory = /run/rpc_pipefs
Domain = undecidedgames.net

 > Under CentOS, you will want to restart and nfs-idmapd.service after any
 > changes.

On the server (CentOS 7), there is an nfs-idmapd service to restart.  On
the client (Debian Jessie), there is no idmapd service that I can find.
  nfs-common is installed, and the nfsidmap command exists, but there's
no script in /etc/init.d with idmapd in the name at all.

Important question I've yet to ask: Must the mount be done by the user?
  Here's what I'm hoping would work:

- fstab includes a line mounting undecidedgames.net:/home/brian at
/home/brian/mountpt (so root does the mount)

- brian (me!) logs in on the client and sees the files in the mounted
area as being owned by himself, has correct directory permissions, etc.

My previous setup had the mount (a cifs mount) in fstab as noauto,user
and brian could perform the mount (set up that way because I didn't want
to put the cifs password in fstab).  That required me to remember to
mount the share each time I logged in after the machine had been
rebooted.  I'm sure I could write a script, but using NFS seemed like
the cleaner option.

I don't really want to change the UID, because that would be a big PITA
on either side.  idmapd should be the solution to the mismatch, if I
could just get it to work...

Thanks!

<snip>