[TriLUG] Blogging software recommendation

Ron Kelley via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Fri Jan 6 16:54:22 EST 2017

Greetings all,

I have collected a ton of notes over the last few years and need to consolidate it to a single entity (blog/website/etc) so I can reference it later.  This is more for me than anyone else (however, I *hope* other people find it useful)..

I setup a VM running Ubuntu 16.04 with internet access and a valid domain name this week.  I was hoping to find an easy-to-use blogging tool (Wordpress, Joomla, etc) to publish my info but have had a heck of a time getting the system template in place.  I spent probably 3hrs today reviewing Joomla videos on youtube trying to unwrap the mystery behind menus, categories, articles, plugins, templates, etc - my eyeballs are spinning!

Can someone please recommend a straight-forward, easy-to-use blogging system I can get running in an hour or so?  I don’t need any fancy stuff (social media plugins, e-commerce, etc).  I just need a page to write down my thoughts, add some pics, and post.  It would be nice to see a menu-type system on the right to look at recent articles.  A search button would be nice as well.

Suggestions?

Thanks.

-Ron