[TriLUG] ATT gigabit internet quick review

John Vaughters via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Fri Jan 27 12:12:47 EST 2017

The problem I have with a Gig connection, is that the side you are contacting needs a Gig as well to make full use of the speed for a browsing user. However, you could have multiple connections to fill the pipe, but this will not necessarily improve a user experience, who is still reliant on the other side speed. Or you can host a bunch of connections as a server. So it really depends what you are trying to accomplish.
The prices are good though and the competition will be improving the overall speed of the market over time. I just wish I had the option to decide at the moment. North Raleigh seems to be a laggard on the high speed connections.
It's an experiment on whether the google fiber will truly catch on. I tend to think it will but at a slower pace than advertised. Google recently has shown some financial weakness and cost cutting actions as well. I applaud the effort. Let's see what happens.
John Vaughters