[TriLUG] DIG and Nameservers

Brian McCullough via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Fri Feb 17 16:42:28 EST 2017

On Fri, Feb 17, 2017 at 04:42:32PM -0500, Aaron Schrab wrote:
> At 15:34 -0500 17 Feb 2017, Brian McCullough via TriLUG <trilug at trilug.org> wrote:
> >I log on to their web site, and try to add a TXT record for the SPF
> >record.  Apparently I am successful.
>
> I'm not familiar with their web interface, but thinking that it might be a
> thin interface on top of normal zone files and being aware of the most
> common pitfall there I tried:
>
> 1128$ dig +short @ns1.directnic.com rentalventures.com txt
>
> 1129$ dig +short @ns1.directnic.com rentalventures.com.rentalventures.com txt
> "v=spf1 mx ptr ~all"
>
> Note the doubled domain in the second, successful query. You likely need to
> add a trailing `.` on the name in that interface to indicate that it's fully
> qualified rather than needing to have the zone appended. You may also be
> able to use just `@` (without the quotes) for the name; at least with BIND
> that's a shortcut for the zone name.

Good guess, but I suspect that I shot myself in the foot, again.  I have
no control over the tail end ( domain name ) of the record, but did
enter "*" before that.

I will remove it, and see how things change.

Nope, no change.  Oh, well.

I have learned a lot, and yes, I am well aware of the timeouts involved.
I will come back to this tomorrow afternoon, and see if we are having
any more success with Yahoo mail.

Thank you all,
Brian