[TriLUG] DIG and Nameservers

ac via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Sat Feb 18 01:47:49 EST 2017

On Fri, 17 Feb 2017 16:42:28 -0500
Brian McCullough via TriLUG <trilug at trilug.org> wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 17, 2017 at 04:42:32PM -0500, Aaron Schrab wrote:
> > At 15:34 -0500 17 Feb 2017, Brian McCullough via TriLUG
> > <trilug at trilug.org> wrote:
> > >I log on to their web site, and try to add a TXT record for the SPF
> > >record.  Apparently I am successful.
> > I'm not familiar with their web interface, but thinking that it
> > might be a thin interface on top of normal zone files and being
> > aware of the most common pitfall there I tried:
> > 1128$ dig +short @ns1.directnic.com rentalventures.com txt
> > 1129$ dig +short @ns1.directnic.com
> > rentalventures.com.rentalventures.com txt "v=spf1 mx ptr ~all"
> > Note the doubled domain in the second, successful query. You likely
> > need to add a trailing `.` on the name in that interface to
> > indicate that it's fully qualified rather than needing to have the
> > zone appended. You may also be able to use just `@` (without the
> > quotes) for the name; at least with BIND that's a shortcut for the
> > zone name.
> Good guess, but I suspect that I shot myself in the foot, again.  I
> have no control over the tail end ( domain name ) of the record, but
> did enter "*" before that.
>
> I will remove it, and see how things change.
> Nope, no change.  Oh, well.
> I have learned a lot, and yes, I am well aware of the timeouts
> involved. I will come back to this tomorrow afternoon, and see if we
> are having any more success with Yahoo mail.
> Thank you all,
> Brian

For those of you, that may be wondering why this friggin ac dude is
replying to posts out of date order, and multiple times, you may want
to turn on 'threads' in your mutt or other real email client... for
example, in thread view the post that i am replying to now, is right at
the bottom, so, if I change my email client, to "date" view' my posts
and replies follow all below each other :)
It seems for this mailing list, I may have to do that or it starts
looking like I am insane :)

Regarding the actual thread reply:
yes, the "@" is translated by the package 'bind-utils' and you can use
it as per above for the +short @  -- BUT - the steps and where you do
the @ is where this issue is as different resolvers used to give
different answers, up to just now :)

so, you can DIG @ a nameserver

But, not all nameservers are equal... some are authoritative(find them
in the WHOIS as they are delegated by the parent zone - or dig @source)
and some are resolvers, etc (and YES, I do know this is an over
simplification, but I am trying to peel away at the basics so that the
mystery goes away :) )

So, when you get that, then dig +nocmd +noall +answer should give you
the TTL etc - but you can also simply see the seconds by the number to
the right of the domain, in the answer (and keep hitting whatever
esolver(s) untill you get an average even if they are round robin...)

anyway, as I am sure with one or two people on this list, dns has no
mysteries for me anymore...

Andre

--
See pics of me, naked, here: http://south.me