[TriLUG] Laptop recommendations

Roger via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Sun Feb 19 11:40:17 EST 2017

It's hard to go wrong with Lenovo as they have a general policy of supporting Linux. That being said, YMMV, e.g.,

http://www.pcworld.com/article/3139812/laptop-computers/after-protest-lenovo-brings-linux-compatibility-to-yoga-900-and-900s.html

Do a Google search on a specific model before buying.

I agree that the models you are considering are overkill for the expected usage. And, system-76 laptops are Clevos in Sys-76 clothing. I bought one from Pro-Star, sans OS and hard drive. Installed my own SSD and mSATA SSD. One problem was needing to get custom / updated drivers from Sys-76 and Intel's web sites. Oh: no indicator for caps-on is a head ache, as is a touchy touch pad: I turn mine off with Fn-F1.

I'd be careful of bleeding edge and touch screen hardware.

Let us know what you get and how you like it.
--
Roger Broseus

(Please excuse tiepos induzed by the droided predictive text tool.)