[TriLUG] Laptop recommendations

Kevin Otte via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Sun Feb 19 14:18:14 EST 2017

I'll second the Lenovo recommendation. ThinkPads are all but tanks (I
think only a Panasonic Toughbook could take more abuse). I'm still
rocking my X220 from a few years back. If you do narrow it down to a
model you want, check out http://www.thinkwiki.org/ for particulars. You
may have to upgrade some of the modules, eg: I had to pick the next
highest wireless module from the default to ensure Linux support.

Lenovo also has IdeaPads now, which may be able to let you come in under
budget for the specs you want. I have no experience with these units though.

Be wary of Dell. They offer a Linux preload option, but it may not be
worth the customer service headaches. The laptop I had before the X220
was an Inspiron 1525N. It wasn't quite what I ordered and I suffered
through a suboptimal computing experience for a few years because they
wouldn't make it right.

-- Kevin