[TriLUG] Laptop recommendations

Alan Porter via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Sun Feb 19 22:05:04 EST 2017

> I think he's looked at those offered by
> Costco but he was underwhelmed by all of them.

For Christmas, I bought two Acer SP315's from Costco for my two teenage
daughters.  I immediately erased Windows 10 and installed Ubuntu 16.10.

Before purchasing, I test-drove Ubuntu 16.04 and 16.10 on all of Costco's
laptops in the store using a live installer USB stick, and 16.10 seemed to
work fine on the Acer (16.04 did not recognize the laptop's wifi). These
machines have 16GB of RAM and 1TB HDD and a nice big screen.

It's only been a few months, but so far, we've had few complaints. The
girls know their way around Linux -- as consumers, not as engineers.
They can watch YouTube, do Google Docs for school, write papers or
even short novels using Open Office, edit audio/podcast files, and a lot
more.

We have had trouble connecting to our printer at home, but then so did
I on my Asus Zenbook.  So they have a crazy/annoying work-around.

Alan