[TriLUG] DNS Service recommendation

David Burton via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Fri Feb 24 00:53:43 EST 2017

I've used ZoneEdit for many, many years. They've gone through several
ownership changes, but I've stuck with them and generally been happy with
them. A few years ago they endured some DDOS attacks which made things
flaky for a while, but I've had no problems with them since then.

*Trivia: *Many years and several owners ago they implemented a special
feature, for free, just for me: Dual-IP DynDNS. (I'm not sure that's what
it was called.) I had *both* AT&T ADSL and Time-Warner cablemodem atg the
time, because neither were really reliable. So I ran scripts to monitor
both of my unpredictably changing IP addresses, to keep them both updated
in the DNS at ZoneEdit. That required the ability for the DynDNS scripts to
be able to select and update either the first or second IP address listed
for my domain, which most DynDNS services can't do. (When I finally dropped
the DSL, I stopped using that feature, and I was probably the only customer
using it, so there's a good chance that it no longer works.)

The first few domains ("zones") at ZoneEdit are free
<https://www.zoneedit.com/free-dns/> for basic DNS (two nameservers, each
in a different datacenter).

After that they charge you <https://www.zoneedit.com/pricing/> monthly
"credits," which are normally about $1 apiece. You have to buy the
"credits" in advance. Occasionally (usually year end) credits go on sale
for about half price <http://www.zoneedit.com/xmas-special/?l=1>.

Adding another zone beyond the limited number of free zones is 1
credit/month.

An extra feature package ("managed DNS"), including two extra nameservers,
is 1 credit/month.

Oddly, a single tertiary (third) nameserver is 1 credit/month, so I don't
know why you'd ever get that instead of "managed DNS." (But I just have the
standard two nameservers for all my domains.)

Monitoring/failover service for one zone is 1 credit/month.

Backup MX server is 1 credit/month.

Free service includes up to 250,000 queries per month. I don't know whether
that's in total or per domain, and I don't know what happens if you exceed
it. Presumably you pay more.

If you don't have any paid services at all, you'll have support only via
"community forums." So even if you only have a few domains you might want
to sign up for one paid service (1 credit per month), just to get full
support. That peace of mind is well worth the $12/year, IMO. (Or $6/year if
you got your credits on a half-price sale.)

When they had a half-price sale in December I stocked up, so unless I add
more domains or services I'm paid up through 2033.  :-)

Dave