[TriLUG] DNS Service recommendation

Igor Partola via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Fri Feb 24 10:55:17 EST 2017

I have two recommendations:

For personal projects and small business needs, I use https://dns.he.net.
It is free, up to 50 second level domains, which in my case is plenty.

For professional use where it's not just me running the site, I use AWS
Route53. It costs a couple of bucks a month per domain, but has a boatload
of options and is rock solid.

I learned the hard way that (a) DNS servers from the likes of Namecheap are
often targets of DDoS attacks that can take down your site with you having
no control over it, and (b) other alternatives are a little too pricey or
flighty or don't offer all the types of records I want.

Igor