[TriLUG] Improvements for my church's network

James Jones via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Wed Apr 19 17:55:26 EDT 2017

Brian, Thomas, and all,

So link aggregation has no use for a single pipe user?

Can it be used between a cpu with dual nics to a router that has
multiple lan connections that feeds on a single wan connection?

Again -- any advice that will help a new managed switch user or
documents that gives details on LAG, QOS, etc... would be helpful.

jcj

On Wed, Apr 19, 2017 at 4:14 PM, Thomas V Thomas via TriLUG
<trilug at trilug.org> wrote:
> You can check this link for Youtube livestream bandwidth requirements..
> https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/2853702?hl=en
>
> 1080p @30fps is about 5000 Kbps (5 Mbps)
>

> On Wed, Apr 19, 2017 at 4:02 PM, Brian via TriLUG <trilug at trilug.org> wrote:
>
>> I'm no expert in the subject, but unless you have multiple Internet
>> connections, link aggregation won't do you a bit of good.  Your switch
>> should have more than enough bandwidth to saturate your internet connection
>> without breaking a sweat with just a single link.
>>
>> I'm also not sure how much good link aggregation would do you even if you
>> did have two or more WAN links; seems like it would just move the
>> bottleneck to the next hop (but maybe that hop has a wider pipe, so there
>> could be a benefit).
>>
>> -B
>>
>> On 04/19/2017 03:20 PM, James Jones via TriLUG wrote:
>>
>>> All,
>>>
>>> Recently purchased a Linksys LGS318 smart switch for the church's LAN.
>>> My knowledge of managed/smart switching is at beginner's level.
>>>
>>> The church wants to live stream the video of our Sunday Morning
>>> Worship Service. The computer that will supply the video stream to the
>>> internet has relatively good speed with a 1 gigabit network interface.
>>>
>>> Would it be good to use link aggregation to improve the throughput or
>>> reliability to the internet? If so, I would need to add another
>>> gigabit nic interface to the computer, wouldn't I?
>>>
>>> Any advice for achieving Link aggregation would be helpful.
>>>
>>> Is there a how to that you can recommend that will help me get started
>>> with this?
>>>

>> --
>> This message was sent to: Thomas V Thomas <thomasvt at gmail.com>
>> options/trilug/thomasvt%40gmail.com