[TriLUG] ISP service: ATT vs Spectrum

Wes Garrison via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Tue Feb 7 12:16:26 EST 2023

Spectrum will NOT run fiber into your house, or anywhere else unless you're
paying for their enterprise dedicated fiber service.

AT&T's VDSL is pretty reliable, the latency is much better than Spectrum,
and it's a switched circuit, so you have your 45Mbps back to the DSLAM/VRAD
switching equipment at least.

The problem is the bandwidth.  If 45Mbps is suitable for your needs, stay
with AT&T.  If you really need 300Mbps, you'll have to go with Spectrum.
Then you'll have to call them every year to keep your bill from going up.

If AT&T brings their "Gigapower" PON fiber to your neighborhood, or Google
Fiber comes along, go with that.