[TriLUG] I'm looking for a good shared hosting web host

Samir Faci via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Thu Jul 27 13:13:43 EDT 2023

I don't think  Linode does all that you need, but I will add an
additional +1 for Linode.  Linode has been great as far as being a sponsor
for any OSS org, they gave us a bunch of credits before to run servers,
etc.

I ended up using DigitalOcean before I really learned about Linode and they
probably only gotten better with their acquisition.  They also offer
backups which is great to not have to worry about those things.

I'm going go down your list of requirements with my VERY opinionated
opinions which of course you can ignore. :P

---
* Reliability
* ssh access
    I would ask if you really need this?  I find it very useful, but if I'm
not managing the server all functionality is provided, ssh isn't really a
big deal to have.
* At least 500 MB of space
* Somewhere around 5 GB transfer per month
* A reasonably effective way to get tech support
* Ability to have Javascript in my web pages
* A way to quickly redirect my whole site, such as .htaccess.
        I need this ability because I need to shut down before every
        hurricane. To see an example of what I'd redirect to, see
        http://troubleshooters.com/troubleshooters_during_ian.htm

I would handle the redirect via dns, though having a .htaccess is nice I
suppose.

What I'd also really like:

* A non-distopian Terms of Service
* Ability to run server side scripts (Perl etc)
eww.  Sorry I mean... to each their own but anything that still lets you
run CGI scripts is a bit of an odd duck.  It's kind of a security issue if
you grant that on a shared host and that can get messy.  If it's your own
VPS, I suppose knock yourself out.
* Ability to serve https
Chris, these days if that's not a default I'd be concerned.
* Ability to serve multiple domain names with one contract
* Good mailing list software that doesn't throttle too much
I suggest setting a subdomain and relying on mailgun for this, If you're
looking for a mailman equivalent, not sure.  I'd personally prefer to just
use a service that's geared towards that and not tie it to the web
provider.

I prioritize the preceding over price. Price is a secondary concern.

----

Pretty much everything you mentioned can be on a VPS but you need to manage
it.  You may also want to consider something like. fly.io.  It lets you run
"Apps" rather than give you a server.  I'm not sure if you'd want to
explore that but you write an app, push it up and fly.io figures out the
DNS, SSL and load etc... instead of having you worry about all that stuff.
It's pretty convenient for single simple apps.  Even multiple apps to be
honest where I don't want to manage a server.

If you're looking for SSH, cgi-scripts, mailing lists, multiple domains
etc... I really don't know if you'll find a good alternative that doesn't
involve you setting up your own server.  Have you thought about webmin? It
used to be decent years ago.

I wrote a guide a while back on my typical setup I can share if you're
interested though I'm pretty much docker only these days.  If that's not
your pattern it might not be of much use.