[Hosting] Test, please ignore

Tom Bryan hosting.a.t.trilug.org
Fri, 16 Nov 2001 08:20:15 +0500

On Tuesday 13 November 2001 09:51 pm, you wrote:

> > One of their members mentioned that the SF software itself is a big
> > pain to set  up - hardcoded with database setup, logo images, and the
> > site name. Their estimate was 50 hours by someone who knows MySQL and
> > PHP to get it set up.
>
> But, do we even want to use the SF software, is the question.  If we want
> to start simple, we could just offer basically just CVS, and then add to
> it slowly, creating our own system as we go...

That depends.  Do you really want to build (another) suite of collaborative
development software?  It seems strange to me that we would start patching
together bits and pieces of different tools rather than spending the effort
on setting up/improving the last open SF release.  I'd be interested to hear
from other groups, like http://savannah.gnu.org/, to find out how much
ongoing maintenance the SF suite requires.

> Or, we might could find an existing alternative to sourceforge.. I'm not
> sure what other choices there are, but it might be worth some
> investigation...

If we don't want to use SF software, finding/contributing to a SF alternative
would be my vote.  If there are multiple developers out there who are
displeased with SF, then I'm sure that a few sites have started to setup new
sites.  I'd hope that they aren't each rolling their own collaborative
development system (wasted duplicate effort, you know?).  It would be better
if they all took a common base (SF's last open release, for example) and
built on it together so that everyone got all of the improvements from
everyone else.  Isn't that what Open Source software is all about?
Basically, why start from nothing when we could essentially just fork the
last open SF release?  Unless you really hate SF, which I don't.  :)  I liked
how a lot of the tools worked from an end-user perspective.  Not perfect, but
very usable once I got used to them.

---Tom