[Hosting] Equipement donations and Inflow walk-through?

Tanner Lovelace hosting.a.t.trilug.org
Fri, 16 Nov 2001 22:31:34 -0500

Christian J Hedemark wrote:

> Kevin writes:
>
>>Whyfor? RPM can be installed on Debian, and dpkg can be installed on
>>Red Hat. Getting the dependancies might be a pain, but it can be done.
>>

> Well this is what I'm talking about.  The dependencies ARE a pain.  I'm
> wondering for example how you can build Debian packages on a Red Hat box,
> and what happens when Red Hat 8.0 comes out and we want to keep building
> RPM's for 7.2 until 8.x is stable enough for general use.

Has anyone considered User Mode Linux?
(http://user-mode-linux.sourceforge.net/)  From their "uses" page:

   Trying out new distributions

   Its filesystems are contained in files in the underlying filesystem,
   so any time you want to boot a new distribution, you only need to
   dedicate a file to it, not an entire disk partition. The project
   download page has a number of ready-to-go root filesystems loaded with
   various distributions, including SuSE, Slackware, Debian, and Red Hat.

 From what I understand (which, admittedly, isn't all that much) is that
the user mode linux kernel allows you to run the linux kernel as a
process under linux.  Theoretically, if the machine had enough
memory/disk space you could set up several different distributions
on the same computer and access them through the network. (i.e.
they should appear as different, virtual machines).

Tanner

--
Tanner Lovelace | lovelace.a.t.wayfarer.org | http://wtl.wayfarer.org/

  History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times
  of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to
  endure.  --  Justice Thurgood Marshall, 1989