[Hosting] Equipement donations and Inflow walk-through?

Kevin - The Alchemist - Sonney hosting.a.t.trilug.org
Sat, 17 Nov 2001 08:01:02 -0500

On Fri, Nov 16, 2001 at 10:05:04PM -0500, Christian J Hedemark spoke thusly:
> Well this is what I'm talking about.  The dependencies ARE a pain.  I'm
> wondering for example how you can build Debian packages on a Red Hat box,
> and what happens when Red Hat 8.0 comes out and we want to keep building
> RPM's for 7.2 until 8.x is stable enough for general use.

You don't upgrade. The problem is that RHL only goes up major versions
when they break binary compatibility via GLIBC. Which is why a 6.x RPM
won't run on 5.x, but *WILL* on 7. xbecause 7.x has
backwatrds-compatible libs on it. (glibc-compat-??)

> It's been about a year or so but as I recall most of the work is easy IF you
> plan it first.  The installation was easy.  It was the configuration that
> was a bit time consuming, but made easier by determining ahead of time what
> specifically you wanted to track and how you wanted to track it.

Cool.

> There was one annoying little problem where occaisionally Gnats would lock a
> PR and never unlock it... a sysadmin needs to delete a lockfile to release
> it again.

Yeah, they mention that in the docs.

> Sure.  AFAIK I am also available pre-Thanksgiving (unless the baby comes
> which is VERY likely now...)

Not I....

--      Kevin "The Alchemist" Sonney      --
--  New email : alchemist.a.t.darkcanvas.com  --
--  http://www.darkcanvas.com/~alchemist  --
--  ICQ: 4855069            AIM: ksonney  --

"If you'll read the subtext for many of those old strips, you'll find
the heart of an old-fashioned Libertarian. And I'd be a Libertarian,
if they weren't all a bunch of tax-dodging professional whiners."
  -- Berkley Breathed, 2001