[Hosting] Equipement donations and Inflow walk-through?

Mike Johnson hosting.a.t.trilug.org
Sat, 17 Nov 2001 13:26:47 -0500

Chris Hedemark [chris.a.t.yonderway.com] wrote:
> Kevin writes:
> > Whyfor? RPM can be installed on Debian, and dpkg can be installed on
> > Red Hat. Getting the dependancies might be a pain, but it can be done.
>
> Well this is what I'm talking about.  The dependencies ARE a pain.  I'm
> wondering for example how you can build Debian packages on a Red Hat box,
> and what happens when Red Hat 8.0 comes out and we want to keep building
> RPM's for 7.2 until 8.x is stable enough for general use.

I'm sure Ben Reed will chime in again, but the build box at OpenNMS is
a Red Hat box with several different versions of several different
distributions on the same system.  For a build, he just chroots into
one of the directories and starts the build (actually, all the builds
are automated).  All it takes is disk space and the time to install
the various distributions.  This is, by far, the best way for us
to build across multiple distributions.  I think he's already
volunteered to help set this up.

Mike
--
Never trust a man who puts anything other than a finger up his nose. - _Snatch_