[Hosting] Equipement donations and Inflow walk-through?

Benjamin Reed hosting.a.t.trilug.org
Sat, 17 Nov 2001 13:29:39 -0500

Mike Johnson [mike.a.t.enoch.org] wrote:
> Chris Hedemark [chris.a.t.yonderway.com] wrote:
> > Kevin writes:
> > > Whyfor? RPM can be installed on Debian, and dpkg can be installed on
> > > Red Hat. Getting the dependancies might be a pain, but it can be done.
> >
> > Well this is what I'm talking about.  The dependencies ARE a pain.  I'm
> > wondering for example how you can build Debian packages on a Red Hat box,
> > and what happens when Red Hat 8.0 comes out and we want to keep building
> > RPM's for 7.2 until 8.x is stable enough for general use.
>
> I'm sure Ben Reed will chime in again, but the build box at OpenNMS is
> a Red Hat box with several different versions of several different
> distributions on the same system.  For a build, he just chroots into
> one of the directories and starts the build (actually, all the builds
> are automated).  All it takes is disk space and the time to install
> the various distributions.  This is, by far, the best way for us
> to build across multiple distributions.  I think he's already
> volunteered to help set this up.

Yup, doesn't matter what the hosting distribution is, as long as you
have a 2.4 kernel (because of multiple-mount issues).  The way our
build box is set up is it hsa a huge /opt/distros directory that I
put everything in, and then I have a small (2-gig) partition for doing
new installs.  So I just install the distro (debian, redhat, whatever)
and let it do everything it wants with that 2-gig partition, then I
boot back into the host OS and cp -a the whole darn tree into
/opt/distros/<distro_name>.  Voila, another OS to build with.  =)

Also, in response to the user-mode linux thing, I actually worked on
setting that up for this, before realizing the chroot thing is way
easier.  There are some issues with networking under UML that make it
kind of a pain to work with.  Not only that, but you have to boot the
OS inside each tree with UML.  Easier to chroot, especially since
services aren't much of an issue when you're using for builds.
Libraries and other files are the real issue.

And yes, I'd be happy to help set it up...  It's just a matter of
installing every distro you want and copying it into a directory.

--
Ben Reed a.k.a. Ranger Rick (ranger.a.t.befunk.com)
http://defiance.dyndns.org/ / http://radio.scenespot.org/