are there any docbook/xsl experts out there?

Robert P. J. Day ncsa-discussion@ncsysadmin.org
Wed, 31 Jul 2002 10:19:00 -0400 (EDT)

On Wed, 31 Jul 2002, Joseph Mack wrote:

> "Robert P. J. Day" wrote:
> >
> >   i've posted on a couple of lists, no response yet so i'll
> > try here.
>
> Hi Rob,
>
> 	I'm at about the same level as you it seems and help
> out there is pretty thin. I'm happy to swap info if that's of
> any use. I'm converting my HOWTO's for the linuxvirtualserver
> project into xml.
>
> 	I converted one of my sgml HOWTOs with sx into something
> that needed a lot of hand fixing before it was xml. It may have
> been easier to start from scratch.

i'm putting things in from scratch as well.  i'm using the
psgml addition to emacs for validation and i set up an
emacs .abbrev_defs file for my most common tag abbreviations
to save time.  it's still slow going, so i'm keeping my eye
out for a good graphical XML editor.

> 	I figured out how to do bold, footnotes and put pieces
> of code with a grey background.
>
> 	I can't get the commands to put an images into the
> text to work and I haven't looked how to set the depth for
> numbering of sections - surely that can't be hard ;-\

a good starting point to learn docbook is a sample document
and makefile set up by tim waugh of red hat, at
www.cyberelk.com/tim.

under "docbook bits" (if memory serves), he has a tarball
called "selfdocbookx" which is a several page docbook
document, and a makefile that will let you generate
chunked HTML pages, PDF or postscript.  good place to
start.  it shows an example of embedding a graphic in the
text.  and to change things like section numbering depth,
you generally want to add little xsl stylesheet fragments,
and tim's example shows how to do that as well.

slowly, but surely, i'm figuring all this out.

rday

Robert P. J. Day, RHCE, RHCI
Eno River Technologies, Chapel Hill NC
Unix, Linux and Open Source corporate training

http://www.linux-migration.org