SAGE/Usenix membership

Joseph Mack NA3T jmack at wm7d.net
Mon Mar 14 22:53:21 EST 2005

On Mon, 14 Mar 2005, H. Wade Minter wrote:

> On Mar 14, 2005, at 11:08 AM, Matt Pusateri wrote:
>
>> Hello list,
>>

>> I am contemplating joining SAGE and or Usenix. Can anyone who is
>> currently a member or former member provide some feedback?

I exchanged e-mail with them last year when I was preparing my talk for
NCSA on outsourcing of computer jobs (which both the Republicans and
Democrats have decided is good for USA). SAGE's official position was that
they would take no stand on the matter. Their position was that if a US
programmer was replaced by an Indian computer worker that they would be as
happy to have the Indian as a member as they did the US sysadmin who is
now working at WalMart. Presumably when the Indian sysadmin is replaced by
a Thai sysadmin, they will be just as happy to have the him a member as
they did the Indian who will now also be working at WalMart. There was no
recognition by Sage of the years of work put in by people at their own
expense to learn their trade in the expectation that it will pay off in a
job.

Joe