Horde/IMP versus Squirrelmail

Steven Champeon schampeo at hesketh.com
Tue May 24 11:47:37 EDT 2005

on Mon, May 23, 2005 at 10:42:58PM -0400, Jeff The Riffer wrote:

> I'm helping build the new maple for my little gang of friends (maple as in
> the server, not the app), and convinced the partner-in-crime to do Linux
> instead of OpenBSD.
>
> So now I'm trying to decide if I should install Horde/IMP on the new box
> (FC3), or try out Squirrelmail. Any suggestions? This is for a small group
> of no more than a couple of dozen users, though many of them are quite
> e-mail active.

Well, I dunno about Horde/IMP, but it seems like nearly all of the
phishing scams I see here (on the order of a dozen or so a day) and 419
scams (on the order of hundreds a day) come from compromised boxes
running Squirrelmail. The ~30 listed vulnerabilities at security-focus
don't exactly compel confidence, either. Seems like a pretty good way to
unwittingly get yourself into the world spam/scam conspiracy to me. But
maybe installing Maia Mailguard in front of it will help.

join us!   http://hesketh.com/about/careers/account_manager.html    join us!