[NCSA-discuss] windows cleanup following gratuitous download

Jeff The Riffer riffer at vaxer.net
Fri Oct 27 11:08:35 EDT 2006

On Fri, October 27, 2006 10:37 am, Joseph Mack NA3T wrote:
> Possibly better would be an NCSA webpage describing the
> problem and the cures. Kids come on the problem at different
> ages and different times.

Indeed, and many of the safe practices that should be practices are the ones
adolescents most want to do: Exploring "bad" sites, playing on-line games,
etc.
For very little kids, the best thing is adult supervision. For adolescents, I
feel it depends on the individual so its hard to say there's a "best"
approach.

> It would be hard to find a bunch
> of kids all of who want the information, and whose parents
> would be prepared to drive them to the presentation on the
> night we chose to deliver it.

Good point.

> Offering to talk at schools
> would probably not be well received either - the school's
> computer staff might feel their turf encroached on and kids
> might not be terribly interested in another talk by an adult
> stanger on the perils of dope, viruses....

I disagree here, though I'm not yet familiar with the local public school
system. At least some administrations would probably welcome the offer to give
such a talk.

I can tell you point-blank what a lot of teenagers want: They want to be able
to ask bold questions and get straight, unfiltered responses. That's nearly
impossible in the modern public schools. Everyone has an agenda. :P

A webpage is certainly not a bad place to start.

Hmmmm... Now what about encouraging proper systems administration practices in
budding Linux administrators? :)