[NCSA-discuss] firewall for WinXP

Jeff The Riffer riffer at vaxer.net
Tue Sep 19 23:08:03 EDT 2006

On Tue, 19 Sep 2006, Joseph Mack NA3T wrote:
>> But that's just me. I'm sure there are several others who would say that
>> the built-in Windows firewall is as good as iptables, shorewall, or
>> whatever else you run under Linux.
> I'm wondering if anyone knows.

Windows firewall won't give you the level of flexibility that a hardware
firewall would. And it's not as multi-faceted as iptables. But it's quite
sufficient for the restrictive configuration you'll want to use on public
networks: Deny everything, then only allow in what you want.

If you really only just want to do web browsing and e-mail, you don't need a
single port open. So just keep the firewall on denying all inbound
connections. But as with any system (Windows or Unix), you need to take
multiple steps to keep yourself protected:

  o Keep the OS updated
  o Disable or remove unused/unnecessary software
  o Require a password to login and use the system
  o Lock the screen after a few minutes of inactivity
  o Store sensitive data in an encrypted form

Now, if you plan to use wireless networks, well then you'll need to be more
careful.