[NCSA-discuss] firewall for WinXP

Jim Ray jim at neuse.net
Wed Sep 20 05:46:17 EDT 2006

The only way to find out is to try.  When I used the built in Windows
firewall and did not do automatic updates, a person sent me a malformed
email, hacked my system and emailed names and numbers back to me that had
come from my personal database.

Like anything else, as long as you keep it patched, you're usually good to
go.

I use it.

However, I also use two firewalls for the internal and dmz networks.

Firewalls won't help you if there are exploits in the code, though...

Regards,

Jim

> But that's just me. I'm sure there are several others who
> would say that the built-in Windows firewall is as good as
> iptables, shorewall, or whatever else you run under Linux.

I'm wondering if anyone knows.

Joe