[NCSA-discuss] firewall for WinXP

Liyun Yu liyunyu at med.unc.edu
Wed Sep 20 09:30:27 EDT 2006

Joe,
There are several small firewall programs (free or cost around $30)
available
such as Zone-Alarm, Outpost, etc., in addition to Windows XP SP2 firewall.
However, many windows based app will open ports when "necessary" therefore
to keep a spam sweeper on the same box is necessary.
You might also want to use foundstone tools to close the ports from time
to time.
That being said, I have tested Zone Alarm Pro and Outpost Pro in the
past for
Windows XP. Both did worked and you may lock the box to its minimum if you
wish.

Liyun Yu