[NCSA-discuss] network monitoring preferences

Chris Bullock cgbullock at yahoo.com
Sun Jul 15 16:37:55 EDT 2007

putting a vm image on a box with other vms kinda leaves you depending on
the vm box not to fail, ie if the vm server box fails, how would you know
if your other vms failed. I was at a conference last month and was
speaking with a network admin about his network monitoring software of
choice and he said they he had network monitoring software monitoring his
main network monitoring software. I think this would be a necessity
whether you have it running on a vm or if you have a dedicated box for it.
cgb

Chris,

Thanks for your response. What I was really asking about was the method
in which you would deploy your network monitoring solution, not which
one you use. I've been trying to avoid a shameless plug for the product
that the company I work for makes. :) Anyways we've put out a VMware
image of it with a limited license(it used to be a trail license - now
it's a limited node version with a 10 year license) It was born out of
the original OpenNMS code, but it really has surpassed it. One of the
reason's I wanted to know how you would deploy it, was I was trying to
gage interest in ISO that installs OS/Network Monitoring app on your own
box versus a VMware image. Or whether a XEN image or other virtual image
would be preferred.

Anyways thanks for your time.

Matt P.