[TriLUG] Off Topic: Enterprise... +0.75

Marc Johnson marc_johnson27591 at hotmail.com
Fri Sep 28 14:53:29 EDT 2001

> > (And the idea of Vulcan's as obstinate nearly evil people... the idea of
> > disciplining a Vulcan... that kept making me feel all weird.)
>
>There is something "off" about the vulcans in this series.  They are way
>too
>arrogant.  Too easy to get a rise out of them.

Something to consider, for those of you familiar with Babylon 5: the
Centauri did not exactly send their best and brightest as ambassadors ...
fourth or fifth rate bureaucratic hacks was how they were seen, at best, and
the posting was considered a joke.

As with any other large population, some Vulcans are more logical than
others. In TOS and subsequent series, we generally saw the cream of the crop
(with a few exceptions). Now we're seeing some Vulcans stuck on a backwater
planet so close to the Klingon empire they can almost smell them, yet
beneath the notice of the Klingons.

I can just hear the discussions: "Stick *these* people on ... what is that
planet called? Urth? That will get them out of our way here where they are a
constant source of discord, and Surak knows they can be illogical enough to
keep the Urthers out of our hair as well. It is most logical."