[TriLUG] Alpha Lockups

P. L. Charles Fischer fischer at pop3.zedec.com
Thu Nov 8 23:11:39 EST 2001

At 10:57 PM 11/8/2001 -0500, you wrote:
>On Thu, Nov 08, 2001 at 10:47:21PM -0500, P. L. Charles Fischer spoke thusly:
>> I have a Compaq XP1000 (500MHz 21264 chip) that runs Tur64 UNIX and Windows
>> NT without any problems.  When I try to run RedHat 7.1 the system runs for a
>> few minutes to most of a day, then locks up.
>>
>> Any ideas?
>
>First up, have you applied all the errata fixes?

  No, the system locks before I have a chance.

>Does is always lock up at about the same time?

  No, sometimes I am running X, other times it is waiting for a text login.

>Is it a hard lock (can't switch virtual consoles)?

  It is a hard lock.  I can not switch virtual consoles, and the system does
  not reply to pings.

>What do the logfiles say about the times when it locks up?

  I have not looked yet (my bad).  After the last crash it will not fsck,
  so I am going to reload.  This would be a good time to try another version
  if I had an idea of which one to try.

Thanks
Charles Fischer
P. L. Charles Fischer                                      fischer at zedec.com
					VOX: 919.465.2306	800.894.0058
ZEDEC Technologies                                         FAX: 919.465.2309