[TriLUG] please help

Sinner from the Prairy sinner at escomposlinux.org
Mon May 6 09:48:48 EDT 2002

Avui, Diumenge 05 Maig 2002 23:03, no tenieu res mes que fer i me vareu enviar
aquest e-mail
> Hi,

Hi

>   I am fairly new to linux.

We all have been new to Linux.

> I have installed redhat 7.2

Great!

> and I tried to upgrade the kernel from 2.4.7-10 to 2.4.18.

Why? First rule of computer science:

--- If it's working, do not modify it! ---

Unless you have non-working hardware with your current Kernel or there's a
security fix that needs to be applied, it is a BAD IDEA to try to recompile
the Kernel, unless you know what you are doing.

Playing is OK, we all like to play... but in "production" computers (machines
that are expected to work) , the less modifiying the base system, the better.
Is this your primary computer?

>I unpacked the source for 2.4.18 in /usr/src/linux

Usualy, /usr/src/linux is a symlink that points to /usr/src/linux-2.4.8-1 (or
something similar)

> and did a make clean, make xconfig, make dep,
> make, make bzImage, make modules, make install, and make modules
> install.  I then edited lilo.conf to boot the new kernel.

Did you use the old configuration file? Maybe something got forgotten...

What are you using as bootloader? LiLo or Grub?  If it is LiLo, you need to
run the following command to apply the changes to the configuration.

/sbin/lilo -v

> When I try to
> boot the new kernel, the system seems to think that my Logitech usb
> wheel mouse has been removed,

Probably because you do not have USB support in this new Kernel. RedHat
Kernels have all kind of patches (from newer Kernel versions) that make their
number somewhat missleading. For example, I kinda recall seeing USB support
on RedHat's kernels way bwefore USB support was officialy inside the
"vanilla" Kernel from Kernel.org

> and x server does not start.

X does not start because there's no mouse detected in the system. This is a
feature. Solve your mouse troubles and X will work flawlessly.

> How do I get redhat 7.2 to work with the new kernel?

You can :

a) Go back and use your default RedHat Linux Kernel

b) make sure that you run /sbin/lilo -v and did a good goob selecting the
kernel options.

I recommend you a) , unless you have a speciffic reason behind your kernel
upgrade.

> Thanks in advance

Sure, no problem.

> Inor
> inorkuo at email.unc.edu

Salut,
Sinner
--
RedHat QA Test Engineer  --  Running RedHat 7.3beta on i386smp
http://www.ibiblio.org/sinner/