[TriLUG] OT: figuring out financial info for switching to Linux

Lisa C. Boyd lcboyd at nc.rr.com
Wed Sep 4 12:57:29 EDT 2002

On Wed, 2002-09-04 at 12:49, Stephen Schaefer wrote:
> No one will be able to do the unbiased research
> required to measure the retraining and
> interoperability costs - if the results weren't to
> Microsoft's liking, Microsoft would destroy them.
> Think I'm cynical?  Ask any scientist at the EPA about
> how industry treats their results.  Global warming?
> Needs more research.

I see your point here :) But I'm not thinking on huge terms as far as
replacement stuff goes. I was just thinking about simple justification
for switching from an Exchange server to an open source solution. Stuff
like that.

> Of course, if you want to bias it the other way,
> Microsoft's current license lets them charge you
> whatever they want whenever they want (NOT just at the
> time of "purchase" - the new wording lets them void
> your license whenever they release a new version) and
> your only recourse is to stop using their software, so
> you could project absurd numbers there, as well.  If
> you're not familiar with that, I'll look up the exact
> wording from the EULA.

I had no idea - I never read those annoying agreements :) Guess I need
to do some more research on that myself. Thanks for the info!

Lisa B.