[TriLUG] RH8 & Kernel Compilation

Ken Mink kmtrilug at nc.rr.com
Fri Nov 1 18:11:56 EST 2002

On Fri, 2002-11-01 at 17:18, Kevin Sonney wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 01, 2002 at 03:49:31PM -0500, Ken Mink spoke thusly:
> > The system in question is a laptop that is not overclocked, not unless
> > HP overclocked it at the factory. Kevin's compilation steps worked with
> > RedHat's kernel source( thanks Kevin), but I'm still getting seg faults
> > with the stock kernel.
>
> Can you show me a screen capture of the segfault? Maybe a cut&paste
> from the [x|E|gnome-|k]term is when it happens.

I will next time I get one.

> > The reason I'm going through this is that the laptop doesn't have any
> > apm support, just acpi. I'm trying to get the acipi4l drivers into the
> > stock kernel.
>
> Yikes. That's painful - I've done it. Which kernel, are the patches
> for that kernel rev, and which laptop?

I was able to get 2.4.19 to compile with acpi-20020918-2.4.19.diff. The
acpi drivers are modulerized and insmod fine. I also have acpid-1.0.1-1
installed from a rpm. It "looks" like it's all working. However, when I
try 'echo -n 1 > /proc/acpi/sleep' nothing happens. When I can
/proc/acpi/info I get the following:
version:                 20020918
states:                  S0 S3 S4 S5

I'm thinking that I'm not getting the sleep mode because S1 isn't
available. I'm guessing there.

The laptop is an HP ze1110 Pavilion. It's a very low end model, hence I
could afford it. I haven't been able to find much in the way of good
documentation on getting acpi going. If you know of any it would be much
appreciated.

Ken