[TriLUG] more spamassassin, procmail, sendmail

Jeremy Portzer jeremyp at pobox.com
Thu Apr 17 08:50:31 EDT 2003

On Wed, 2003-04-16 at 17:42, Turnpike Man wrote:

> ?Thus use:
>
> :0fw: spamassassin.lock
> | /usr/bin/spamc
>
> Instead of:
>
> :0fw: spamassassin.lock
> | /usr/bin/spamassassin
>
> and I get the same result?  and why spamassassin.lock?? use or not to use...
> which is correct?

You definitely don't need spamassassin.lock (and the trailing colon)
when calling spamc.  It won't *hurt* though.  I use this:

:0fw
| /usr/bin/spamc

But you need to make sure the spamd daemon is running.  If you installed
spamassassin by RPM, spamd is a normal service that can be controlled
with "service", "chkconfig", or the GUI program that configures
services.  (I think the service is named spamassassin, though, not
spamd, which is a little confusing.)

> I hope I'm asking good questions newbies or others are
> learning from!!  I'm just trying to understand all the facets of this that I
> can.

I like talking about spamassassin so you're welcome to keep asking!  :-)

--Jeremy

--
| Jeremy Portzer       jeremyp at pobox.com       trilug.org/~jeremy     |