[TriLUG] Mailman Setup?

Jeremy Portzer jeremyp at pobox.com
Mon Aug 18 23:11:36 EDT 2003

On Mon, 2003-08-18 at 17:37, Ryan Wheaton wrote:
> True, but this "listserver" is mainly going to be used for sending out
> mail, not so much receiving it.  It's going to be used for mass mailings
> and keeping track of user's subscriptions, etc.  but setting up an MTA on
> the box shouldn't be too difficult (especially if there's a POSTFIX.README).

But you still have to have an MTA to receive the mail from the person
sending it.  That's how mailman works... a person, with their handy mail
client like evolution, sends a message to the mail server, which is
received and delivered by the MTA.  Mailman accepts this delivery,
performs its necessary magic, and then sends mail on to the list
members.

You'll also need an MTA to receive things like bounce messages (for
automatic bounce processing), to receive confirmation messages (so that
people can subscribe), to handle mailed administrative commands (like
unsubscribe), etc.  It's pretty much requisite.  But not very hard --
about all you have to do is use one of the default MTAs (either postfix
or sendmail), and configure it to listen on the outside interface -- Red
Hat configures the MTA to only listen on localhost, for security and
spam prevention reasons.   Jason Tower has given three talks on this
recently, so there should be plenty of folks with answers if you have
questions.  :-)

> maybe i should reconsider what I'm using to perform this task?  we had used
> Lyris in the past, but everyone who's been using it thinks it sucks and is
> over it, so i figured Mailman does the same thing as Lyris (and probably
> better).

Mailman sounds perfect to me.  Good luck!

--Jeremy

| Jeremy Portzer       jeremyp at pobox.com       trilug.org/~jeremy     |