[TriLUG] New BZFlag Server.

Chris Knowles chrisk at trilug.org
Fri Dec 12 15:56:56 EST 2003

OK.  It's that time.  The new BZFlag server (V 1.10 "Break The World")
has been released.  And accordingly, we've upgraded the server that
TriLUG runs to this version.

a little bad news:
The network protocols have changed.  Thus, you will need to upgrade to
the new client (http://www.bzflag.org) before you're going to be able to
play.  There are packages for most systems on the bzflag website.

The default port has also changed, to 5154.

Now the good:
New Flags, user levels, voting, new game mode, and more.  Read the end
of the message for more info.

By the time you get this, the server will be running at
bzflag.trilug.org, port 5154.  A Rabbit game mode server will be at
bzflag.trilug.org port 7000.

Usually there are games most every night around 10 pm, organized on IRC
(irc.trilug.org channel #trilug.)

Hope to see you there!

CJK

More info...

The new flags:
              Masquerade (MQ)
                             You tank looks like a teammate when viewed out of
                             the  window.  Bullets, radar and targeting reveal
                             your true identity.

              Burrow {BU}    You tank burrows into the ground up to your  muz-
                             zle,  making  you  impervious to normal shots, as
                             they sail above you. However your  tank  controls
                             are  sluggish,  and  anyone,  no matter what flag
                             they have, can crush you like.

              Seer (SE)      See Stealthed, Cloaked and Masqueraded  tanks  as
                             normal.

              Thief (TH)     Tank  is  small and fast, when you shoot an oppo-
                             nent, he is not killed, but  instead,  you  steal
                             his flag.

There are now registered users.  read the man page for bzfs for more information.
The Rabbit game mode:

> In rabbit-hunt, the lead player is
>        chosen as the target for all other players. When the rabbit(target)  is
>        destroyed, the live player with the next highest score becomes the rab-
>        bit. The object is to remain the rabbit for as long  as  possible.  The
>        rabbit is marked as a white tank.

Hope to see you out there.
--
Chris Knowles <chrisk at trilug.org>