[TriLUG] SUSE or RHEL - Compile your own kernel?

Jason White jason at jw2.org
Thu Oct 7 09:51:02 EDT 2004

* Kevin Flanagan (kevin at flanagannc.net) [041006 16:19]:
> There's some movement towards either RHEL or SUSE enterprise for servers
> at work.  I have a couple of quick questions that someone here may be able
> to answer from experience and save me dealing with a sales weasel.

> I'd like to be able to do the two following customizations at
> installation, what I don't want to do is break the support contract. ;')

> Custom installation:  I want to kickstart the installations so that I can
> script it, without installing all of the components.

Er...if I weren't able to do this, I would go insane.   Of course you
can do this!  As long as you install *their* rpm's, you're fine.
RedHat does support kickstart, although I've not had to ask them any
specific questions yet.  The redhat-kickstart mailing list is great
for that.

> Tailored Kernel:  I'd like to do a "Make Xconfig" to not install things
> like RLL drivers, etc.

This may be trickier, at least for RedHat support, which is all I can
speak to.  They provide you with base kernels for every platform, and
they also provide something called "kernel-unsupported", which you're
forced to use if the base kernels don't provide some feature you're
looking for.  Essentially, any software they don't package will be
difficult for them to support, so check with them first.

Jason