[TriLUG] Ubuntu stuff

crimsun at fungus.sh.nu crimsun at fungus.sh.nu
Tue Aug 16 00:34:22 EDT 2005

On Mon, Aug 15, 2005 at 08:52:14PM -0400, Dan wrote:
> >Using a wiki established by the development community helps to improve
> >ubuntu. If the user base turns to other sources for help rather than
> >looking within the ubuntu community, it diminishes the quality of the
> >distribution. It's not hard to see why.

This point is an interesting one: By incorporating the documentation
into one central location, both users and developers can contribute to
the distribution by updating and correcting procedures and tips.

> It might help the developers... but is ubuntu only that?  "If the user
> community turns to other sources for help, rather than looking
> within, it diminishes the community..."  You actually say that?
>
> That wiki solved a need that I had... something that the *true
> developers* didn't solve.  I know where I place the thanks.

It's wonderful that there are additional resources outside the official
wiki. No one is implying that additional documentation in and of itself
is "bad". However, when there is no explanation of said actions, then
we begin to see problems. Take a look at the references to the Intel
High Definition Audio or Creative Sound Blaster Audigy chipset/cards in
the forum and in the guide. Or ALSA dmix. Or multiple sound cards. I've
actually explained in the general support channel on innumerable
occasions WHY certain actions should be avoided, because those actions
cause big headaches. I'm rather disappointed that only a very small
minority of people I've attempted to assist have actually bothered to
heed my explanations.

Ubuntu is a distribution that's shaped by its users. I realize that not
every user has time to devote to such a community project, but that's
not going to stop me from doing my part. Since many users are diverting
their attention from the official documentation on the wiki, obviously
there's something in unofficial documentation that's "doing the job".
We've actually tried to incorporate that unofficial documentation with
rather acrimonious results. Why shouldn't ubuntuguide want to be part
of the wiki if it's a useful resource?

> >If you like what you see on the website you linked to, it behooves you to
> >help fold it back into the ubuntu community by contributing to the wiki or
> >by contacting the page's maintainer about contributing to ubuntu's
> >development.
> >

> Behooves me?  How so?  Exactly what is it that I owe and to whom do I
> owe it?

Ubuntu and its supporting communities are free and will remain so.
http://www.ubuntulinux.org/community/conduct states that "We improve on
the work of others, which we have been given freely, and then share our
improvements on the same basis." While no one is REQUIRED to contribute
in return for using Ubuntu, the entire community process underlying the
distribution depends on all of us sharing freely.

It is such a western attitude that "I don't owe you anything". In fact,
I myself owe a great deal to many people, TriLUG members and
participants included. I choose to contribute in return because I feel
passionately regarding Free/Libre/Open Source Software, and I hope you
come to feel similarly if you find FLOSS useful.

> they are and that has been my whole point... I *like* Ubuntu a lot.
> Ubuntu is my newest greatest thing... but the Ubuntu Moonies[1] are
> getting on my nerves.

In every group there are zealots. While I don't find myself to be
overzealous, I know I am quite passionate about Debian and Ubuntu.
Look around - most people who have interacted with me personally and
through mailing lists will find that there ARE level-headed Debian-
and Ubuntu practitioners (not to say anything regarding Moonies).

Thanks,

Daniel T. Chen          crimsun at fungus.sh.nu
GPG key:   www.sh.nu/~crimsun/pubkey.gpg.asc