[TriLUG] debian in production

Scott Lundgren trilug at capitalfellow.com
Fri Oct 21 12:02:57 EDT 2005

Can someone give me +/-'s of running Debian stable in production? Most
of my administrative experience comes from RH, Fedora, and smidgen of
SuSE.

I'm tasked with providing an *AMP environment to expand our web hosting
services to the university community my department serves. The caveat
is that I'm only allowed to have repurposed sparc solaris servers.
Since there is no web hosting control panel software that runs on
Solaris, in lieu of providing fewer services with more administrative
burden, I'd like to propose to my management that Solaris be removed
and install Debian Sparc so I can enable private sector levels of
hosting via a restricted configuration of cpanel for our users.

Hopefully providing this scenario illuminates what issues I should be
aware of for this proposal.

Thanks,
SL