[TriLUG] Ubuntu 5.10 not so Breezy w/64MB RAM

Pat Regan thehead at patshead.com
Wed Mar 1 10:03:57 EST 2006

John Wheeler wrote:
> Hey guys,
>
> I have installed Ubuntu 5.10 onto an AMD Athalon 700Mhz box w/ 64MB RAM.
> I am impressed with it's ability to identify all of my hardware off
> the bat. Of course my issue is that the windows draw SO slow with my
> limited RAM.

The problem may be your video drivers.  Ubuntu may not have chosen
accelerated drivers for your video card (VESA or Framebuffer instead of
a driver for your specific chipset).  It is also possible that it picked
the correct driver, but the driver doesn't support acceleration at a
depth of 24 bpp.

Look at your /etc/X11/xorg.conf.  Check the "Device" section for your
video card, it should have a Driver entry.  Also, check the "Screen"
section, and try changing "DefaultDepth" to 16.  You will need to
restart your X server ("/etc/init.d/gdm restart" should do the trick).

There may very well be some proper Ubuntu way to do this, or some
setting you can find in the GUI somewhere.  If there is, I have never
looked for it :).

Pat