[TriLUG] Linux on Compaq Presario Laptop...

mike shlitz mshlitz at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 18 16:28:33 EST 2007

Hi All,

I recently inherited a fairly new Compaq Presario
V2000 Laptop (V2606CU).  It came to me with MSW Home
on it and I'd like to switch it over to FC, CentOS, or
Ubuntu.  (Any suggestions or caveats welcome).

CPU is a Mobile AMD Sempron Processor 3000+  (787 MHz)

Current RAM = 256 MB (I know...)  of which 32 MB is
shared by the ATI Radeon Express 200M.  (system is
capable of 2GB, and user can then set video RAM up to
128MB.)

40 GB HDD
Matsushita UJDA 770 DVD/CDRW drive
RealTek RTL8139/810x Family Fast Ethernet NIC
Broadcom 802.11 b/g WLAN
Conexant AC-Link Audio
AC 97 Data/FAX Soft modem w Smart CP

(Also has a 7+ GB FAT 32 partition loaded with HP's
usual extras.)

Mike