[TriLUG] TriLUG IMAP Server problems (was Re: missing email)

Rob Lockhart rlockhar at trilug.org
Thu May 10 23:37:48 EDT 2007

On Thu, May 10, 2007 22:33, Tanner Lovelace wrote:
> On 5/10/07, Rob Lockhart <rlockhar at trilug.org> wrote:
>> Tanner, thanks for the information.  Can you confirm that no mail was
>> lost?  Mine appears to be lost.  I had lots of folders too, and I am
>> using
>> webmail and see the same thing as Thunderbird now.
>
> They are NOT lost.  I am looking directly at your underlying store
> and ALL the messages and folder are there.  They are NOT lost.
>
>> Now the question also becomes, if the old emails and folders are
>> restored,
>> is it also possible to merge the two without duplicates?  Even if not,
>> there's a cool plugin for Thunderbird that can delete dupes.
>
> There is nothing to restore.  Most likely you need to either
> tell thunderbird to show all folders and not just subscribed ones
> or resubscribe to the folders.  If you're using the trilug webmail,
> click the plus sign next to INBOX on the left.  You shouldn't
> have any duplicates at all.
>
> Tanner

Just another note for anyone else in my predicament.  After the crash and
migration, note that I had no "+" sign or equivalent in Squirrelmail (I
might be slow but not quite *that* slow *grin*).  I had to go into the
Squirrelmail "Folders" and click on all the folders to the right.  The
right-side folder list is apparently the unsubscribed folders.  Note that
only first-level folders were in the unsubscribed list, but all the
underlying sub-folders were in the already-subscribed folders list
(left-side).  After doing clicking on all folders on the right side (that
were apparently "unsubscribed" from the move), I could then see all
folders in Squirrelmail.  My point in using Webmail is that it isolates
Thunderbird from server-side issues, or so I thought. O:-)

I hadn't tried the Thunderbird "re-subscribe folders" option just yet as I
was in the Antelope mode after I realized the problem.  Thus I quickly
shut down Thunderbird and went right to webmail.

  -Rob