[TriLUG] JOB? - create customized distro

Warren Myers volcimaster at gmail.com
Fri May 11 16:52:42 EDT 2007

the work I've done previously involved a bunch of Java apps and stuff
running in Wine - neither of which were really 'packages'.

WMM

On 5/11/07, Christopher L Merrill <chris at webperformance.com> wrote:

> Thanks!  That's good info.  Do you know if the rPath solution is
> dependent on the software that we want to run being available as a linux
> package?  We use an executable installer for our software, so it's not
> "packaged" in the linux sense.
>
> Chris
>
> Cristóbal Palmer wrote:
> > Just to follow up on this a bit, rBuilder
> > (http://www.rpath.com/rbuilder/) is a tool for doing _exactly_ what
> > you want. If you're not worried about other people seeing the distro
> > you create and the licenses are clear on everything you want to
> > include, you can do it for free on the website given above. If you
> > want it hidden from public view or want to do it at your own site,
> > you'll have to give the rPath people a call.
> >
> > When smithj in #trilug made a distro for me, he did it in under 20
> > minutes. The "cooking" of the .iso files for the installable version
> > and the liveCD took a few more minutes, but the whole process of
> > making the distro was still faster than the install process for
> > several popular distros I could think of.

http://warrenmyers.com
"God may not play dice with the universe, but something strange is going on
with the prime numbers." --Paul Erdős
"It's not possible. We are the type of people who have everything in our
favor going against us." --Ben Jarhvi, Short Circuit 2