[TriLUG] OT: Downgrading Safari 3.1 to 1.2 on a Mac running 10.3.9

Maxwell Spangler maxpublic08 at maxwellspangler.com
Tue Jun 24 15:20:45 EDT 2008

The root of the message is off topic but I'll relate it to Linux so the
discussion has some merits to this forum.  Pardon me.

A friend's Mac iBook has Panther 10.3.9 installed.  I downloaded the
latest version of Safari 3.1.1 and installed it.  When I clicked on
Safari, nothing would happen.  My guess is that Safari 3.1.1. requires
10.4 or 10.5 and that this is a classic case of something being missing.

This gave me a chance to explore Mac OS X a bit more and I managed to
find a console.  When I have that up and run Safari, a rather long list
(40+) of messages apear stating 'NS.. something not set" (it's not in
front of me right now so I'm giving you the idea.)  Basically looks like
lots of stuff is wrong of missing.

So.. on Linux I would simply remove the Safari package, download an
older one and install that one.  I've had really good luck with that
approach.

But on a Mac, solutions are often simpler and right in front of me.  A
little exploring on the web suggested just going into /Applications and
dragging "Safari" to the trash would uninstall it, but doing this has
left the Safari icon in the dock with a big question mark on it.

So.. how can I uninstall the uncompatible Safari 3.1.1 and install the
older 1.2 I downloaded?

Would love to read a brief but descriptive description of how Mac OS X
does packages compared to Linux.

Thanks!