[TriLUG] Fighting Ubuntu Desktop + KVM + network bridging

Brian McCullough bdmc at bdmcc-us.com
Tue Jul 28 23:03:33 EDT 2009

On Tue, Jul 28, 2009 at 10:41:12PM -0400, Jason Herr wrote:

> Now the actual issue.  These virtual machines are worthless if I cannot
> put them out on our lan and be able to hit their services from my
> laptop, etc.  Unfortunately, the Ubuntu UI only provides for NAT access,
> so I've tried the old RFTM approach.  Well, that's got some interesting
> stuff:

I'm not going to be much help, because I haven't done anything with KVM,
but only with Xen.  In that environment, you have a very small "shim"
underneath the kernel, which actually provides the whole virtualized
environment. Then you have the "Ring 0" or Dom-0 environment, which is
the "host machine" for all of the child virtual machines.  The Dom 0
machine, in cooperation with the shim, provides network interfaces for
all of the virtual machines.

When you bring up Xen, in its Dom 0 form, it may or may not create a
second interface that you will see when you do "ifconfig" in that
environment.  However, for each child virtual machine, it will add a new
interface in the Dom 0 environment, as well as a corresponding interface
in the child environment.

Each child has a unique IP address, and, if you wish, a unique Ethernet
MAC address.  Normally, those IP addresses will "fit into" your network,
and be provided either through DHCP or static addressing, depending on
how your child is configured.

Was this any help at all?

Brian