[TriLUG] LPD printer queue not accepting jobs

JHays jhays at trilug.org
Tue Feb 5 18:32:00 EST 2013

I am trying to print from my ubuntu 12.10 PC to a printer attached to a
Windows 7 PC.  I enabled the "LPD Printer Service" on Windows 7, removed
spaces from the printer share name ("PSC1315") and attempted to print a
simple text document from ubuntu. When I try to print, on ubuntu I get
"Printing test.txt on PSC1315" followed by "Printer Error - Printer
'PSC1315': 'connecting to device.' From Wireshark (a packet sniffer) on
Windows 7 I can see the requests are arriving and when I drill into the
LPD Response field it says: "Line Printer Daemon Protocol: Response:
Queue not accepting jobs."  I am somewhat baffled by this since there
doesn't appear to be any way of configuring this Windows LPD service.
I've done a lot of googling to no avail. Any ideas here?

Thanks.  Jonathan