[TriLUG] Experiences with ThinkPad W540/other recent laptop workstations?

Matthew Frazier leafstormrush at gmail.com
Sun Jul 6 18:37:33 EDT 2014

Hello, TriLUG,

I'm planning to purchase a new computer soon. (I really like the
ThinkPad T61 I bought in March, but it's just too old to do everything I
need.) This one will be a primary workstation, so I'd like something
that will last at least four or five years. As such, I'm seriously
considering the ThinkPad W540.

First off: Yes, I know that the keyboard and TrackPoint are RUINED
FOREVER. Honestly, I actually like the new style of trackpad - I had a
Macbook Pro before my T61, which has a similar trackpad, and I was
perfectly fine with it. So, even if you think the new trackpad is the
worst thing since 8086 memory segmentation, please put that aside for now.

I'm primarily interested in Linux support. I plan to use either Fedora
20 or CentOS 7, so nothing especially fancy. I'm fine with not having
the best graphics setup, so long as I can plug in a second monitor and
play Minecraft (not even at the same time).

Another key quality is expandability and ease of repair. I plan to buy
with 16 GB of RAM and a 256 GB SSD, and upgrade later if my requirements
exceed the limit. I also like to do my own repairs. So, being able to
replace the battery, hard drive, memory, and optical drive is important
to me. (I don't want to be in a situation like my Macbook, where
replacing the battery requires an appointment and a 30 minute bus ride
to Crabtree.)

Finally, I highly value build quality and support. Besides the trackpad
complaints, deteriorating build quality is a common complaint in
reviews. I suspect the presence of these complaints may be consequences
of the trackpad being RUINED FOREVER, which as stated earlier, I don't
care about. I'm just concerned about whether it will last a few years
without breaking badly. Availability of a 3-year warranty is also a
requirement.

If you don't think the W540 meets these requirements (FOR REASONS OTHER
THAN THE TRACKPAD), I would appreciate additional recommendations. I
like my current ThinkPad, but I try not to be super-partisan about
computers.

Thanks,
Matthew Frazier