[TriLUG] Printer/scanner recommendations

Igor Partola igor at igorpartola.com
Wed Feb 4 14:31:02 EST 2015

I am (again) in the market for a new printer/scanner, and hope I can
benefit from the wisdom of this list.

I think I found just a printer that meets all my requirements (wireless
color laser with AirPlay support and auto duplex printing): Brother
HL-3170CDW, but... I am also wondering about the state of the art for
scanners and MFC devices. Last I looked at them, roughly in 2012, I could
not find a decent scanner or MFC device that would:

 - Have an auto-feeder for scanning (double sided would be great!)
 - Wi-Fi capability
 - Ability to somehow give me a PDF of the scanned document without using a
USB cable. This could be email or even better DropBox, NFS, etc.

Does anyone know if such a thing exists? I have seen Raspberry Pi projects
that control a USB scanner and email out the PDF's with a push of a button,
but has any manufacturer built a less DIY solution that doesn't cost
thousands?

Thanks,
Igor