[TriLUG] unetbooti

Roger W. Broseus via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Sat Apr 25 09:58:53 EDT 2015

I have had very mixed result creating bootable USB thumb drives. I recently
had success doing so to create a boot drive for Xubuntu. However, using the
same drive for a couple of other purposes, e.g., clonezilla and rescatux were
unsuccessful. I tried both unetbootin and tuxboot on two different thumb
drives and two different PCs. It did not appear to be the software/iso that
was problematic because I *was* able to create bootable CDs.

My conclusion: YMMV. No, make that YMWV - Your Mileage /_*W*_ill/ Vary when
creating bootable thumb drives. My fall back: do it on a CD or DVD. Boot from
an external CD/DVD drive for small laptops without an optical drive built-in.

--
Roger W. Broseus - Linux User
     Email: RogerB at bronord.com
     Web Site: www.bronord.com