[TriLUG] unetbooti

Joseph Mack NA3T via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Sat Apr 25 10:28:07 EDT 2015

On Fri, 24 Apr 2015, Andy Random via TriLUG wrote:

> I've had good success with the Fedora liveusb-creator
>
> https://fedorahosted.org/liveusb-creator/

thanks. I tried it. I had to recursively download the universe to satisfy the
dependancies. I gave up after about half a dozen downloads.

When I did the build, it gave me no notice that dependancies (eg pyqt) weren't
satisfied, so I thought I was home. I didn't find the unsatisfied dependancies
till I ran the executable. When building in C, you're at least told which
libraries are missing. For 20yrs now, Perl will automatically recursively
download the dependancies for you. Python has been around for 2 decades or so
and is still not ready for prime time.

The libraries are only for an unneccessary gui. You only need a command

# usb-creator --no-gui -i file.iso -p persistence_filesize -o file.usb

You then dd the usb file to your stick.

Having a gui is just inappropriate use of technology. If everyone used the same
gui tools, I'd be happy enough to have the libraries, but every utility that has
a gui, builds it on different libraries. I don't want to have to download and
fill my disk with libraries that are only ever used for one program.

It's no wonder Linux hasn't conquered the desktop.

I tried the windows version. I didn't have any trouble with dependancies, even
though I don't have python or qt installed. They should be able to do the same
for Linux. However it couldn't find my usb drive even though it was visible in
windows file explorer. I had started with an unpartitioned drive, expecting the
the program would do whatever was needed (I assumed dd'ing the whole thing to
the usb stick). Nope. Next I formatted it ntfs. This time the logfile said that
it had to be FAT (well is it 12,16 or 32 bit). The creator ran and exited
cleanly, starting with the ubuntu iso that I successfully used to create a live
usb stick for my python student. The usb stick tried to boot, but got stuck in a
loop, filling the screen with

boot:
gfxboot.x32: not a COM32R image

The usb_creator should have known that before creating the usb stick.

Just got Roger's posting. Apparently I shouldn't be too surprised. It seems
no-one believes in QA and QC.

Well thanks anyhow Andy. I'm glad it works for someone.

Joe

jmack (at) austintek (dot) com - azimuthal equidistant
map generator at http://www.wm7d.net/azproj.shtml